Friday 2 March 2012

Editing Levels in Photoshop

I have just put on a quick video on how to use the Levels tool in Photoshop.

Levelling is great for editing things like colour, shadow and highlights and it is done very quickly. Sometimes when I am editing I feel like I have overdone it when I compare it to the original, but then I sit back and think about how it would look if I hadn't seen the original and I always feel happy with the result.

If you have access to Photoshop, it's a great tool to use and experiment with as each picture is fun to edit and the boost colours etc :)

Here's some before and after shots:








2 comments:

  1. Hello, I wrote you a comment on your first posting on the SX40 on youtube. Thanks for the tutorial. Is there any way we could carry on an E-Mail conversation? I just bought an SX40 and it was delivered two days ago. So far all I've been able to do are take pictures of my pooch, Stub(born)and they've all turned out well. I live in Columbia Mississippi by myself - Well, not counting the dog - and, like you, love taking astronomical and long-exposure night shots including some light-writing. The main reason I'm contacting you, besides handing out kudos for your series on youtube, is that I'd like to learn how to use PhotoShop! I don't even know which version I need to purchase or how to use it once I get it. Your tutorial on youtube convinced me I need the program though. I've tried to use CHDK for nearly a decade and even read through "CHDK for Dummies" several times and failed at that so how brilliant am I?
    I love to write and do quite a bit of it as a journal with thoughts of putting the articles together some day for publication but that's all in the future. What I do like is having someone to write to for enjoyment and inspiration so...
    I'm not familiar with blogspot so I may be writing this to the world in general; in any event, you will probably read this message at the very least. Regards, Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I see it is indeed hanging out there in the wind for all to see! Perhaps it will provide some entertainment and open a new window on levels of intelligence and naiveté of internet users.

    ReplyDelete