Friday 21 December 2012

Animating in Photoshop

I have been playing with Photoshop CS6 at work and learning how to animate with their new Motion layout.

I have animated in CS5 but, unless I have missed something, the timeline is a lot better in CS6 and the only downside I can see is that you can only make a 10 second clip. This is as far as I know anyway but as my clip was only 10 seconds I didn't pursue it. I guess if that is the case it is always possible to make a string of 10 second movies and put them together in simple video editing packages.

Either way it was great fun. I may do a tutorial at some point if people are interested in it, or just because I enjoy it anyway ;) It's a great additional feature to an already intense program.

One thing that is great about animating in Photoshop is the ability to change layer opacity which means that you can 'onion skin' (see the frame before and after the one you are drawing) to be able to animate a lot easier. I really like it and it's a great resource if you want to play with animation without committing to buying a whole package of animation software!

Here's my rough run through of a 10 second clip from The Count of Monte Cristo:


No comments:

Post a Comment