Friday 14 December 2012

I just upgraded my SLR...

I was trying to make a video last night making aperture a lot clearer and explaining what it is that the SX40 is missing when it comes to creating background blur when the SLR can do it a lot easier. So I had the two cameras side by side on the bed and my demo set up to show that one lot of photography settings has a much different affect on blur with one camera than it does on the other. I was trying to preview my Nikon pictures (I have a Nikon D70) and the screen was so tiny I couldnt really see them without moving the camera and ruining the shot.

I realised that I really don't use my SLR because it's just so difficult to see through the viewfinder and the back screen and navigation around the camera isn't the easiest. I still love my SX40, it is a lot easier to carry around and the zoom is epic, but it is nice to have an SLR for special occasions and for more photography experimentation so it was about time I upgraded!

I stuck with Nikon as I already had the lenses for the camera and lenses are so expensive that it wouldn't make much sense for me to switch to Canon unless I had a lot of money to spare which I don't. As I know the Canon models better, having worked with them every day, I decided that I knew I liked the 50D and 60D in the Canon range so I looked up the Nikon equivalent. The D90 is the apparent equivalent to the Canon 50D but with the option of video which the 50D doesn't have.

So it was the D90 I eventually picked and I am waiting for it to arrive. Hopefully when it does I will will have some good time to play around with it and start to explain photography in more depth. Don't fear the SX40 videos won't be completely out of mind but as I have covered a lot of information on them already, it will be nice and refreshing to show some other parts of photography that are still relevant in terms of learning and relevant to both the SX40 and the D90.

So there's an update on my SLR situation, I'll be back soooon!!

3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I planned to purchase a SLR camera, I'm confused between D5100 and D90, which will be the best?
    The D90 has inbuilt AF motor
    D5100 has flip out screen

    Can you suggest me which will be best?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reluctant to say which is better without knowing the cameras better. The D90 was an upgrade from my D70 so I knew I could afford it and it was similar to the SLR I had before. I would suggest you check out some of the online comparison tables of Nikon models to help you make up your mind. I didn't look at the D5100 when I was deciding.

      Delete