Sunday 29 January 2012

CHDK

So I am now uploading the Canon Hack Development Kit video.

It's important to check your camera firmware version before installing the hack as you want to make sure that the hack is the right one for your camera. I mention how to do this in the video.

The hack unlocks many MANY things including an override on shutter speed as well as shooting in RAW and a battery life indicator which is very handy!

There are so many things that I didn't cover the whole menu, I just did a demo on how to install it onto the camera. I will do a more in depth review of the hack kit when I have looked through the menu thoroughly.

Here are a couple of links relating to websites I mention in the video.


CardTricks - http://savedonthe.net/download/78/CardTricks-144-SFX.mht

Firmware Versions - http://mighty-hoernsche.de/


Card Tricks is a program you can download to PC that allows you to change your SD card to support the hack. The second link lets you download the hack once you have found out the firmware version of your camera.

Let me know how you get on with the CHDK. I think I have only just touched the surface of a very VERY deep pool!

10 comments:

  1. HI can this hack unlocked the ISO in nightshot mode? (i.e increase ISO to 400+ instead of 100)

    ReplyDelete
  2. if I may ask can you create a tutorial on using this hack for nightshots, please?im actually a noobie :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have added it to the list :) I can't say when that will be but I will do it as soon as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Help!
    I have problems with the Firmware, nothing happend when pressing Func.set and disp. as you describe in your ad at youtube (have been watching over and over again..). The SD card is ok, tested on a S5is. What to do next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi St1ar,

      Have you definitely put the files ver.req and vers.req on the simcard first?

      Delete
  5. Yes,
    SD-card in camera:
    -format the 32mb card
    In windows:
    -created ver.req and vers.req on card
    -released the SD-card from windows
    In camera:
    -made one photo and switched then to view
    -holding down func.set and then press disp.
    = nothing happend...
    I've also tried afer reseting the camera to default settings.
    I tried the same sd-card in my old canon s5is and it worked ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't know why it wouldn't work, you have definitely done it the right way. The only thing I can think is that (and I'm not being patronising when I say this) you aren't pressing the buttons right.

      The reason I say this is because I spent a while holding down func.set too much and couldn't get the firmware to show up and I just ended up pressing them at the right time to get the firmware to show up. I know that sounds silly and I may sound a bit thick but I actually wasn't pressing the buttons at the right time to get the firmware info up.

      I assume you're not doing the same as I did but thought it was worth mentioning. Other than that, all I can suggest is the alternative version of installing CHDK where you trick the camera into installing a firmware update but I couldn't get that one to work on mine so I can't help you the alternative method.

      Delete
  6. Found a solution:
    My problems was coused by formating the SD card in camera and creating the "ver.req" in Windows.
    When formatting the SD card with CradTricks v1.44 (Format as FAT), the "ver.req" is automatic created on the SD card as well.
    Then I folowed your description from puting the SD card in camera...
    Then voilá!
    My firmware is "GM1.00G".
    I've tested bouth solutnons several times with the same result.
    Thanks for help.
    Now, I'm going back to your tutorials for testing the chdk...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, oh my! Well that's great that you sorted it out. Enjoy your CHDK, it's pretty intense :)

      Delete