Wednesday 18 January 2012

Light Writing/Drawing! :)

So my next tutorial is on its way and it's all about light writing and light drawing. It's a fun thing to do but I am no pro so here's a look at what I did tonight for the tutorial.

I'm sure that over time this gets easier and you get a better judgement of space and time but for me it's just a bit of fun. I have done this in the past, again just for fun but wanted to share with you how it's done. I hope you enjoy light writing if you haven't tried it before!

The Canon Powershot Sx40 HS only allows a 15sec shutter at the lowest so there is a time restriction. I am considering using the CHDK(Canon Hack Development Kit) in the future but wanted to demo this to those who may not use the software. The software will allow a longer shutter speed I believe.

Happy light writing!

Fat Dragon 100:






Flower:




Just dancing around the living room!:



Umbrella Man (haha!):


Man walking dog (haha!):


I know they're stupid but it's all good fun!

5 comments:

  1. hi
    in your canon sx40 hs tutorial step four on filters you talked about a 58 mm adapter ring which i can not find here in India. is that a 67mm to 58mm conversion ring or a 58 mm ring?
    the guy at the shop told me that 58 mm ring does not fit on the outer side of the lens barrel.so he tried to sell me a 52 mm uv filter which fits on the thread that is in the inside part of the barrel. is that safe?
    pls help

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read a few things about this issue. I ascertained that the "threads" in the barrel of the camera's lens are not tapped or milled threads. They are, instead, a series of concentric circles.

    I think the filter simply cut it's own paths into those circles, in effect, making its own set of threads.

    As a result, one runs the risk of either wearing out the end of the lens such that the filter no longer fits tightly, or eventually getting the filter stuck.

    I do not have my SX40 available to verify my assertions, but I plan on checking it out as soon as I have it in hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right or at least close enough, the threads are definitely not well build either way. I'm gonna stick with the adapter myself!

      Delete
    2. I did check out my SX40. To my eyes, the rings inside the front end of the lens barrel are indeed concentric. They are not helical threads. Thus, I believe an adaptor attached to the bayonet mount is required to use a threaded lens filter.

      Delete
  3. Just saw you video unboxing if the SX70, and just like I mentioned above about the SX40, you will need an adapter for a filter.

    Also, one option, instead of a cable to transfer your shots to a computer, is to use an EyeFi card. I have a 64 GB Toshiba FlashAir W-04 in my SX40. It's great, as it transfers the pictures/videos to my Android device wirelessly as soon as they are saved to the card. It will also do so to a computer. It uses Wi-Fi to do so.

    The FlashAir acts as a WiFi access point, so, if you normally use Wi-Fi to connect your computer to the internet, instead of pointing your computer to the SSID of Wi-Fi router in your home, your used the SSID of the FlashAir. You'll need the FlashAir software on the computer.

    It's pretty convenient. I like it.

    ReplyDelete